Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer Camp 2010

I just got back from summer camp yesterday. I left for camp on Sunday and got back on Saturday. Before I went I signed up for three merit badges. I designed my schedule so that I do all my badges in the morning, so that I had the entire afternoon to just relax and do what I wanted. The three badge classes I took were oceanography, bird study, and forestry. I ended up passing all three and that means that I only need two more badges for the award that I am working towards.
If you are not in a class then there is many options for what you can do. There is fishing and a lake where you can sail, boat, or wind surf. There was also a store that you can go to and get snacks and other stuff. After all the classes were finished the different areas allowed everyone to come in and do what they want with whatever was in the area. For example eco-con would let you hold the animals and field sports would have an open shoot. I normally went to the eco-con place because I liked the animals and the counselors were funny. My favorite animal was a turtle named Oink.
What I did most of the week was after my classes were finished and I ate lunch I would play cards with who ever was at camp. Most people had a class after lunch, so the camp was more quiet than it normally was. After we were finished or got bored of cards I would then go to open area somewhere or take small hikes on back trails that nobody ever uses.
The meals there were pretty terrible. Each group had to send waiters for every meal to set the tables. If you were a waiter for breakfast you had to be ready and leaving the camp site by 6:45. Of course I was a breakfast waiter three times. Being a vegetarian it was hard enough to get a full meal, but the food itself was still pretty gross. It was the equivalent if not worse than school food.